Texture Sizes

General Art Rev talk goes here.
(No bugreports, no feature requests, no fun!)

Texture Sizes

Postby Colditz » 01 Sep 2010, 16:17

Hi everyone,

I was just thinking about the texture sizes and name syntax we should deliver with our modification for WZ2100. MaNGusT posted some pictures with his version of the Light Wheels with 512x512, which is far to much as I think for one small model. My work consist of three unique maps for every model, I call them as suggested by the original model names. A example for that is the regular factory with three modules, they are called blfact0, blfact1 and blfact2. The base is a separate model and has its own texture and file name, which is blbfact.

The big buildings with 3x3 are using a 512x512 pixels for the building and a 512x512 for the base, so I have blbfact_dm (Diffuse Map), blbfact_nm (Normal Map) and blbfact_sm (Specular Map) for the base plate (blbfact).

I think they are maybe other ways like using on texture sheet for multiple building like the current textures, for example a 1024x1024 for four base plate textures, but thats the point I want to discuss here. Same for vehicles and other props / assets.

Attachments
ImageImage
Colditz
Artist
Artist

Re: Texture Sizes

Postby MaNGusT » 01 Sep 2010, 17:45

I think they are maybe other ways like using on texture sheet for multiple building like the current textures, for example a 1024x1024 for four base plate textures, but thats the point I want to discuss here.
I thought about it too. So, I suggest to use separate texture for each model because it's easy for artists to make UV map and don't hurts performance in the game... but it will increase the time to load a map a bit.

so I have blbfact_dm (Diffuse Map), blbfact_nm (Normal Map) and blbfact_sm (Specular Map) for the base plate (blbfact).
I suggest:
blbfact_diffuse, blbfact_normals and blbfact_specular.
because if displacement maps and tessellation support will be added to the game code then it will be "blbfact_dm" too, so to make difference between diffuse and displace better use "long" names. :)

P.S. If you have a finished low-poly models with all needed textures, pack them all together to a zip archive with exact name and upload to our vault, pls.
like Jorzi does... :)
ImageImage

P.S. Sorry for my English.
MaNGusT
Artist
Artist

Postby Jorzi » 02 Sep 2010, 04:08

I thought about this a bit, my opinion is that unless there's a maximum limit on how many texpages the engine can load or it seriously hurts ingame performance, it's easier to have separate texpages for each model, especially if we are going to have stuff like object space normal maps etc, that make it almost impossible for different models to use the same texture.
Jorzi
Artist
Artist

Postby MaNGusT » 03 Sep 2010, 13:36

about sizes...
I think it would be better to bake them to 768 or 1024 size because then Olrox will easily draw the all he wants and then will resize to 256. How will he draw on 256x256 textures?))) I've just realized that....
ImageImage

MaNGusT
Artist
Artist

Postby Jorzi » 04 Sep 2010, 05:46

Well, you can of course upscale the lightmap when painting a texture. It's mainly a matter of technique if you prefer painting in hi-res and downscaling or if you paint directly on the 256x256 texture. Since blender doesn't support antialiasing when baking I usually render it in 512x512 and then I remove a few artifacts and downscale it in GIMP, so if Olrox wants them in full resolution I can save them before resizing
Jorzi
Artist
Artist

Postby MaNGusT » 17 Sep 2010, 14:06

Colditz, I-NoD (one of devs) asked me to say to AR team that we should make the displacement maps too. I think that units don't need them because they are too small to notice the dx11, OGL 4.0 tessellation. but.. buildings of course need such type of textures (in a future).
The easiest way to make them is to use the GPU MeshMapper 1.2 tool by AMD. you can find it there amd.com :)
VERY nice and usefull tool, IMHO. ;)
ImageImage

MaNGusT
Artist
Artist

Postby Jorzi » 21 Sep 2010, 08:50

Tesselation might look good on the ground, but all the stuff should look good without displacement (very few have that new graphics cards) and therefore we cannot rely on displacement when it comes to most details, it would work best as just an optional improvement to the normal map...
Jorzi
Artist
Artist

Postby Macuser » 21 Sep 2010, 11:46

Well IMHO it sounds like an apple limiting the app store scenario-ish. instead of just not making it available because some ppl don't have a great graphics card, I say allow ppl to turn it off. just my opinion ;)
Macuser
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MaNGusT » 21 Sep 2010, 17:41

Macuser wrote:Well IMHO it sounds like an apple limiting the app store scenario-ish. instead of just not making it available because some ppl don't have a great graphics card, I say allow ppl to turn it off. just my opinion ;)

agreed. the more options the game has the more gamers will play the game. :)
ImageImage

MaNGusT
Artist
Artist

Postby Jorzi » 22 Sep 2010, 11:44

There is an importer for starcraft models in blender, and I've looked at some of those models and realized one thing, they look good with any shading. You can use just unshaded texture, shaded with specular and smoothing groups or shaded with specular+bump.
I think this is what we should strive for. Right now the models will only use solid textures ingame, but as soon as anyone implements any kind of improved shading, our models will be able to use it and look even better.

I also hope the graphics settings will have options for turning stuff on/off so that warzone can still be played on very little hardware.
Jorzi
Artist
Artist

Return to Development