Exporting with WMIT - hints and info

General Art Rev talk goes here.
(No bugreports, no feature requests, no fun!)

Exporting with WMIT - hints and info

Postby Jorzi » 16 Jun 2011, 03:48

I thought that I'd share some of my experiences with the current version of WMIT
Since it is still heavily unfinished, it's good to know what currently does and doesn't work.

What I have found to currently be the most efficient workflow for exporting is:
-Make sure you have the right scale in your 3d program before exporting (WMIT has a scale tool but it's currently ignored when exporting)
-One square is 128 units wide. Check what units your obj/3ds export tool uses. In blender, one "blender unit" simply translates to one unit in the .obj file.
-If you're unsure about how big your object should be, you can open the .pie file in question using WMIT, export to obj/3ds and open in your 3d program for reference.
-the y-axis should be up, and it's also good to know that warzone and wmit use a left-handed coordinate system, which causes imported models to be mirrored along the x-axis (that is, if your 3d program is right-handed which it probably is)
-Import the obj/3ds into WMIT, you can specify some textures if you want, but they are only used for previewing the model
-When saving, select .pie from the list of formats. Make sure you also actually write the .pie extension into the file name, otherwise no file will be saved.

-you now have a raw pie 3 file, with all the necessary geometry data, but you will have to write in the rest manually. A good text editor for doing this is notepad++ http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ (fast download and install, good features for programming and editing text-based files)
- the first thing to add to the file is the name of the texture. Go to the row where it reads "TEXTURE". Fill in the missing stuff so that the row has the format "TEXTURE 0 page-XX-whateveryouwant.png 0 0". XX is the number of the texpage and can go above 100.
-if you have a normalmap, add a new row right below the "TEXTURE" row. This row should have the format "NORMALMAP 0 whateveryouwant.png". To make organization easier, I always name my normalmaps "page-XX_normalmap.png"
-the tcmask name doesn't need to be specified, but this means it must always have the exact form "page-XX_tcmask.png" in the texpages folder.
-You also need to specify connectors. Except for bodies, most items have only one connector. A connector is a point in space defined by an x, y, and z coordinate. The weird thing is, the connector is defined in a different coordinate system, where x goes right, y goes rearwards and z goes up. (yeah, blame the original designers)
-Go all the way down below the last row of the .pie file. Here you should write in:
Code: Select all
CONNECTORS n
   x1 y1 z1
   x2 y2 z2
   xn yn zn

where n is the number of connectors (usually only 1) and x y z are integer coordinates. Remember to make the tab indentation before the coordinates
-For turrets and barrels, the connector specifies their pivot point. I usually model my weapons so that they rotate around 0 0 0, which makes the connector easy to specify. When in doubt, you can usually try just writing:
CONNECTORS 1
   0 0 0

for most .pies and see what happens.
-I usually read the connector coordinates by placing the 3d cursor and checking its position in blender. You can also just pace a vertex and read its coordinates. Make sure, however, that you check your axes.
Jorzi
Artist
Artist

Re: Exporting with WMIT - hints and info

Postby MaNGusT » 16 Jun 2011, 07:37

Jorzi wrote:-For turrets and barrels, the connector specifies their pivot point. I usually model my weapons so that they rotate around 0 0 0, which makes the connector easy to specify. When in doubt, you can usually try just writing:
CONNECTORS 1
   0 0 0
fully incorrect. turrets don't have any connectors. barrel uses connectors(as many as a weapon has barrels - because of muzzle flash patch by INoD) to place the point where it will shoot from.
ImageImage

P.S. Sorry for my English.
MaNGusT
Artist
Artist

Postby MaNGusT » 16 Jun 2011, 08:51

what about pivot point, I don't know how it calculates for rotation, possibly as you said it's hard-coded to 0,0,0.
ImageImage

P.S. Sorry for my English.
MaNGusT
Artist
Artist

Postby Jorzi » 16 Jun 2011, 09:15

In that case, I still have quite a bit of txt editing to do :?
No wonder i never saw any muzzle flashes...
However, there's got to be a way to define the pivot point for the barrel...
Jorzi
Artist
Artist

Return to Development